Saturday, May 4, 2013

God's faithfulness in the dark times

I have had two seemingly unrelated things rumbling around in my head this week:

I went to visit the riverside campus of the boy's school to see the work that was being done there. I was struck once again by the amount of destruction that a flood of that magnitude can do. I am extremely grateful for the teams that have been coming to restore that campus and the bible school campus next door. I really don't know how we would have been able to return next year without them (and there is still an incredible lot left to do!). In the midst of the repairs and restoration the director of the school took the opportunity to make some upgrades to some of the buildings and facilities raising the roof of the "dining hall" (which is really a multipurpose building used for large group gatherings and multiple activities) and installing a sprinkler system. So, when we return we will not just be going back to a cleaned up version of the same old thing.

At the same time I have been reading Ruth in order to prepare for a ladies meeting that I am supposed to lead on Sunday. I was reminded once again of how God used the devastation of Naomi's loss and turned it completely around for His glory and for the benefit of the people of Israel. That the faithfulness of a foreigner would be the example to God's chosen people.

I needed these reminders of God's faithfulness this week. Lately it has been easy to get lost in my own circumstances and difficulties, to see the mountain of work and the immediate results of the destruction instead of looking with expectation to what God is doing. To remember that God uses even the most devastating events in our lives to bring about good not only for us but for generations to come.

Dave's dad dropped off five copies of his completed thesis on Tuesday, so all that's left is for him put on a gown and accept his diploma. Yeah!

No comments: