Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pain

Isn’t it amazing how small things can create unheard of amounts of pain! Think of the last time you really stubbed your toe, it was probably the last time that you gave any serious consideration to that part of your body. It is that way with the body of the church as long as things are going smoothly we may not even notice other parts of the body in operation, but as soon as something goes wrong every part can feel the pain.
This week I have been struggling with a boil. I have been amazed at how something so small can cause so much pain and distraction keeping me from being able to focus and do the things that I need to. (I suppose that it doesn’t help that I am trying to write a sermon outline on the Holy Spirit for my ministerial candidate interview—both a daunting subject and a form that is not my strength.) The boil had reached the stage that it had to be lanced yesterday to drain the infection. I will spare you all of the gory details and just say that it hurt despite the doctor’s gentle touch and my brave face. It made me think back to the presentations on conflict at the regional gathering and the importance of dealing with conflict well and early because the longer hurts have to fester the messier and more painful they are to fix.
My prayer for each of you is that as we think about the suffering of our Saviour this week (the kind of pain that puts my boil to shame in comparison) that we will find a new perspective for dealing with our hurts and be able to restore any relationships that may not be what they should. Peace friends!

No comments: