Saturday, April 3, 2010

We are so blessed

I started out thinking that this was going to be a plea for help and the more I thought about our situation, the more I realized how truly blessed we are. You see our oldest has Asperger’s Disorder a high functioning form of Autism. If he had a more intense form of autism I have my doubts whether we could be here. But not only are we here, but he is doing very well. In talking with a teacher at his school I was reminded again of how God has blessed us and him. She noted that language learning is difficult for ASD students but Cole is doing well in his French class as well as in his other academic courses that are taught in English!
This past week I was surfing the internet to consider my options for continuing education (I have a number of courses that I need to take) and I came across a conference that was being offered at Redeemer University in Ancaster, Ontario. It was a one day seminar for teachers to receive additional qualifications and was all centred around ASD (autism spectrum disorders). When I read about the workshops they were offering I went to Dave and said I want to go home. He commented on the heat and various other things in an understanding way and I said no I want to go home for one day April 10th! Then I explained about the conference. I immediately thought about a friend that taught special education and is very supportive of our ministry here. Before I had a chance to finish this blog (because of various other interruptions) she e-mailed to say that she would take the class for me and send me the information that she gleaned. Praise God! Thanks for all of you that pray for us and our kids on a regular basis. We really appreciate it and a special thanks to Cindy for being willing to give up a Saturday for me!

2 comments:

Horst Mielke said...

Just like the song "count your blessings, name then one by one, count your many blessing, See what God hath done!" We shall continue to pray for all of you.

Tim & Christine said...

Hey, that same song came to my head today as I was reading devotions. Anyhow, I'm glad to know that the kids are doing well and that you have great friends in Canada looking out for you. Tim and I are now living in Brampton (20 min from the Pearson Intl airpot), so if you are coming back to Ontario at some point do get in touch with us so that we can visit. And if there is anything I can do/get for you in the meantime, just ask. Love, Christine (for Tim and Jacob)